Friday, March 15, 2013

Personal Reflections

Today I will be reflecting on "an experience outside of your normal routine where the most clarity of life comes", as directed by my writing teacher. (I love Mrs. M!) She also told me to answer three questions:
1-Who am I?
2-What was I born to do?
3-What is stopping me or what is helping me to do what I was born to do?

Well, I guess I had better start writing.

My experience is about three days ago. Well...for some reason I had the strange desire to buy myself a ukulele. Don't ask why, because I really don't know. Anyway, I wanted a ukulele and I told my mom that. She said, "We can go to the music store tomorrow and see if we can buy one." So, the next day, we did just that. We went to the cheapest music store in town and looked at ukuleles. I loved the feel of the instrument in my hands. It felt...magical to hold something that could make such a beautiful sound. I found an Adele booklet and started playing I set fire to the rain and Rolling in the Deep. It sounded so beautiful and tropical. I didn't even know that anything could sound tropical, but, apparently, Adele songs can, when played on a soprano uke. Then something magical happened. I looked away from the rack of pink, purple, blue, brown, and orange ukuleles and, suddenly, I noticed the rest of the music store. On the left of the store was a supposedly sound-proof room that held violins, violas, and cellos. On the right side of the store was another sound-proof room that held mandolins, banjos, and other extreme guitar-and-ukulele-like instruments. In the middle--amongst the shelves and racks of music books, flash cards, softwares, key chains, and composer busts--were drums, amps, and guitars. Oh, holy guitars! There were SO MANY guitars that it was crazy. I immediately set the ukulele down, picked up a guitar learner's booklet, and ran to the leather stool that stood beside a gorgeous dark brown acoustic. I tried to reach the chords, but it was hard. Really hard. Really really hard. But, I guess, that's what made it exciting. Intoxicating. Enthralling. I kept trying to reach the impossibly hard-to-reach chords and, eventually, I got it. The sound that it made was like a dying cat. Creepy, crazy, off-key. By a lot. But I figured out that if I adjusted my fingers slightly I could make the chord sound...eh...decent. I must have practiced for a full fifteen minutes before I realized that my mom was wandering around with a really lost expression on her face. I don't know what possessed me, but I ran to her and told her that I wanted a guitar. "Are you sure?" she asked. "Positive," I replied. And I was. Until I got home and tried to play some more. I played until my fingers were sore, then I ate dinner and went to bed. The next day (yesterday) I came home from school, did my homework, and played my guitar (I decided to get a light brown acoustic). I played and played and played and played and played. I played until my fingers were raw. Actually, it hurts to type this right now. My fingers were so raw and had such deep cuts from the strings that skin started peeling off them and they started bleeding a little bit. When you touch them they sting. Really bad. But I found that it was easier to play. I even learned how to play We are never ever ever ever getting back together by Taylor Swift. I think that I was addicted. Actually, I know that I am addicted because I really want to leave this computer and go play my guitar right now, despite the pain.

1-Who am I?
To you guys I am Musica. I like it that way. I don't get ignored because of my name, I don't get rude comments because my posts are weird of boring. Musica simply says that I love music. And I like it that way.

2-What was I born to do?
I was born to play music. I think that you all have figured that out by now. If you haven't, then...I have no words.

3-What is stopping me or what is helping me to do what I was born to do?
Nothing is stopping me. Obviously, my new instrument is helping me. I think that as long as I can play or sing or even hear music then I will be fine.

With that in mind,
Who are you?
What were you born to do?
What is stopping you or what is helping you to do what I was born to do?

~Musica

2 comments:

  1. I love how you asked your readers at the end the same questions you just answered. That was a writing strategy!

    When can we hear you play your ukelele?
    How blessed you are for feeling such passion. Thanks for sharing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I always love to hear positive comments. As for playing the ukulele in class, well...I don't know. Maybe when I get better. I'll let you know. You're awesome, Martinez!!!

      ~K

      Delete